Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Long Division- Partial Quotients

Here we go.... from multiplication to DIVISION!!

This is what our district has to say about division:
The student is expected to represent the quotient of up to a four-digit number divided by a one-digit number, with or without remainders, using strategies including arrays, area models, equations, and the standard algorithm.

Vocabulary
quotient, dividend, divisor, remainders, compatible numbers, convert 

Quotient is the answer to a division problem.
Dividend is the number being divided.
Divisor is the number doing the dividing.
Remainder is anything left over that doesn't divide evenly.

For example
73 divided by 9 = 8 with a remainder of 1
73 is my dividend, 9 is my divisor, 8 is my quotient, 1 is my remainder

To check this answer I would multiply my divisor (9) times my quotient (8) and then add my remainder (1) to see if I end up with my dividend (73)
9x8 = 72
72 +1 =73

I started off with the partial quotients method.

Here's a video that explains partial quotients.




No comments:

Post a Comment