Friday, October 23, 2015

Area Model Division

The steps to doing area model are:
 (I recommend looking at the picture while reading.... It sounds so complicated but it's really quite simple!)

Make a rectangle. Put your divisor on the side and your dividend in the box.
Find out how many hundreds you can fit inside.
I always cover up the digits so we're just looking at the first one or two.
In this case, I'm asking, "How many times can 3 fit into 14?
The answer is 4.
That means my first partial quotient is 4.
Now I multiply 400x3 to get 1,200.
I subtract 1,422-1,200 to get my next part of the problem.
I bring that over and then I start the process again.
How many times can 3 go into 22?
7.
That means my next partial quotients is 70.
70x3 = 210
222-210=12
Now I start again with 12.
3 goes into 12 four times.
My last partial quotient is 4.
I subtract it and get 0.
Now I add up all my partial quotients to get my final answer.

I multiply my quotient times my divisor to check my answer. I should get my dividend.


No comments:

Post a Comment