Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Race to 100

Today we played an impassioned game of Race to 100.
Each kid gets a number and then has to tell me what the number needs to make 100.
The strategy I teach them is to find the next friendly number, and then count by tens to get to 100.

Example:


Some of my students are able to do all of this in their head. Others need to go by the steps. Either way is fine, but I expect that they can get to a friendly number quickly by now.
If they are still struggling to make their friendly numbers, I go back to the basics of what makes ten. 

I encourage my parents to practice these strategies at home and then eventually when the kiddos can do it in their head, practice in the car!

Remember, friendly numbers are numbers that end with zero!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment