Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Where we are in place and time

We are finished with poetry so it's time to start our new PYP unit! This unit is called, "Where we are in place and time,"
The main idea is: Human and geographic factors affect communities.
We sat down and examined each word as a class. We wrote a new main idea together:
"The way people are, and the nature of the earth can change a group of houses, companies, and people, and where they live."

I taught my kiddos the continent song, along with movements to help us remember where the continents are. We looked through atlases and learned about things like equator and compass rose.

Continent song!


In this unit we are also learning about space and the moon. I am having my kiddos keep a moon journal. Every night one of my students takes home a paper bowl to draw what the moon looks like that night. Then they bring back the bowl and we all draw it on our moon journal.
Here's a link to a freebie moon journal.


Raghav was the first to take home the bowl.


Bill Nye has a moon video that I hope to watch with the kids eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment