Monday, December 9, 2013

Counselor Lesson

Our wonderful school counselor did a lesson about self esteem.
She read the book, Cupcake, by Charise Mericle Harper.
Cupcake
He is a vanilla cupcake that feels inferior compared to his brother and sister cupcakes.

She talked to the kiddos about choosing their own weather channel.
Cloudy channel, I grouchy and feel like everything is just awful. I'm going to have a bad day and it will not get any better.
Sunny channel, happy and positive. I like myself, I love myself. I'm going to have a great day!
Rainbow channel, I feel ready to help myself have a better day.

She told them that you can change your channel!

Positive Self Talk! Mrs. Hougham looked into a mirror, smiled at herself, and said, "I am a great kid. I work hard and I do my best every day."

Then she called up a few students to model positive self talk.
During the lesson she complimented the kids and told them, "Tell yourself, 'I am a great listener!'" They were all so engaged during the lesson.




Then the kiddos filled out a little worksheet about reasons why they're special.

We used this to make our first poems..
They all started with "the best thing about me is______________" and then listed a whole bunch of special things about them, and ended with, "But the best thing about me is _____________(same as the first thing). 

Mine was:

The best thing about me is I am kind.
I am a good dog mom. 
I am brave.
I am a teacher. 
I am a loving little sister.
I graduated with high honors.
I can do yoga.
But the best thing about me is I am kind. 

Raghav's poem

Sofia's poem.

Caelyn's poem.




No comments:

Post a Comment