Thursday, December 5, 2013

synonyms

We talk about SPARKLE words in writing all the time.
I taught them the word "synonym" this week. Man, that is a tough word for children to say! I could've also said it is a difficult, hard, laborious, demanding, grueling, trying, awkward, back-breaking, challenging, word.

Here is my synonym poster pack.

I started by reading "I'm Talking Big." I had the kiddos close their eyes and imagine what I was reading about. Their responses were great! I love my creative students. They imagined monsters, ships, dinosaurs, and giants.
This poem is perfect for talking about sparkle words and synonyms.

I’m Talking Big!
By: Colin McNaughton

I’m talking big!
I’m talking huge!
I’m talking enormous, immense,
Tremendous!
I’m talking hulking, towering,
Titanic, mountainous!
I’m talking maximum, massive, stupendous, gigantic, monumental!
I’m talking fantastic, fabulous,
Incredible, unbelievable, mammoth,
Vast!
I’m talking astronomical, mighty,
Monstrous, universal, colossal,
Magnificent, galactical!
I’m talking BIG!


After reading the poem, we talked about all the different sparkle words we heard. We counted them all up. TWENTY-SEVEN!

Then we made our own poem called, "I'm Talking Little"

I'm talking little.
I'm talking small!
I'm talking tiny!
I'm talking itty bitty, teeny.
I'm talking nothing!
I'm talking opposite of big, minimum, miniturized
I'm talking pip squeak, weeny, petite, child-sized!
I'm talking little!

I’m Talking                                     
                       (descriptive word)
I’m talking                                       !
                     (descriptive word)
I’m talking                                       !
                     (synonym)
I’m talking                                                        !
                          (synonym)                (synonym)
I’m talking                                                        ,                            !
                   (synonym)                               (synonym)                   (synonym)
I’m talking                                         ,                         ,                         !
                   (synonym)                 (synonym)        (synonym)                (synonym)
I’m talking                                                                       ,                  !
                   (synonym)         (synonym)        (synonym)      (synonym)        (synonym)
I’m talking                             !
                     (descriptive word)

No comments:

Post a Comment