Monday, September 15, 2014

Rounding

I based my lesson plan on a great idea I saw on another blog.

The vocabulary words we introduced today were
Round and Estimate

We started off by watching a short video about rounding.


Then we talked about what rounding really means.
I showed them my anchor charts.




Then I put the kids in pairs. Each pair got a sentence strip, a half sheet of paper, and a sticky note with a number already on it. They had to make a number line and place their sticky note where it belonged. Then on their half sheet of paper they had to write the sentence:
If I round (whatever number they had) to the tens place, the estimate will be (whatever the rounded number is).
This way they were practicing those new vocabulary words!

I also made this rounding flower visual for the kids to glue in. They just glue the circle part so they can fold over the numbers.

Underneath the petal is what each number rounds to.



 Here is my rounding pack from teacherspayteachers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment