Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Math Strategies

Math in second grade is all about strategies.
When I was in school, math was all about memorization.

Instead of memorizing that 8 plus 9 equals 17. My kids are told to use a variety of different strategies.
For example, I know my doubles facts (8 plus 8 equals 16, really keen!) so I know that 8 + 9 is one more than 16, which is 17.
Or they could say, I know my doubles facts (9 plus 9 is 18 jelly bean!), and so one less is 17.
Or they could say, I know that 9 needs one more to make 10, so if I take that one away from the 8, I have 10 plus 7, which is 17.

Also in addition, they are told to look at "partial sums" rather than the "carrying it over" way I learned. This is supposed to help them really understand place value.





Here is a video of Beck showing the "Bridge to ten" and "do subtraction, think addition" way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment