Monday, January 6, 2014

Welcome Back

Our winter break is finished!
I have to thank my wonderful parents/students because I went and saw several movies over the break thanks to their gift cards, enjoyed many Starbucks chai teas, and even bought myself some cute nail polish at Target. Ya'll are the best and I appreciate those gift cards SO MUCH.

I also found a hilarious picture from my very first Christmas to share...
Check out the matching jammies as well as the matching chubby cheeks.
Displaying photo.JPG

I hope that everyone is coming back refreshed, happy, and ready to learn.
We're jumping right back into things with...

Science- Force, Motion, Energy (specifically magnets) We're going to start this week off with the Bill Nye video about Magnetism. Does every one remember him? He was my best science teacher ever.
Things we learned from the video:
  • The earth is a giant magnet because it's core (middle) is mostly made out of nickel and iron
  • The three things that stick to magnets are iron, nickel, cobalt
  • Opposites attract
  • Magnets have a North end and a South end
  • Attract means to draw closer to
  • Repel means to move away from
  • A compass will always point North
  • Iron is made of electrons
  • When electrons move, it causes electricity



Math- Fractions
Reading- Poetry
Writing- Poetry

In Science the main ideas I want my kiddos to understand are:

·        Changes in the amount of light can affect how objects appear.
·        Changes in the amount of heat can cause physical changes to objects.
·        Changes in the amount of sound energy can cause objects to move or vibrate differently.

·        Magnets are useful in everyday life.
·        Without magnets, many devices such as tools that require electric motors will not work.

·        Forces cause objects to move and change position over time.
·        The motion of objects can be observed, traced and described.


·        Patterns of motion such as sliding, rolling, and spinning can observed and compared.

No comments:

Post a Comment