Thursday, October 3, 2013

Math Stategies

I think that one of my most important jobs as a math teacher is to teach strategies. I don't want my kiddos counting on their fingers, or drawing tally marks forever! 

I gave them whiteboards and told them to bring their hundreds charts, and number lines.
Any time we use the whiteboards, it is so much extra fun! I wish I had more markers because my kiddos go through them so quickly!

I had Rachael show me how long it takes to do tally marks. 
It took a lonnng time!

When they use their hundreds chart for problems, it goes much faster!
I have them put an X on the number they start on, and circle the answer they end up on.

We spend a lot of time talking about how adding tens means we can just jump down. 



Math Strategies I want my kids to use:
  • Counting on
  • Doubles (Doubles plus one)
  • Hundreds Chart
  • Tallies
  • Ten frames
  • Unifix cubes
  • Ten frame cubes 
  • Manipulatives
  • Number line
  • Memorization



No comments:

Post a Comment