Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Update

Lots of exciting things happening in my classroom.

First of all, we had our first Principal's Pride yesterday. My four Principal Pride kiddos were: Lucy, Will, Mike, and Travis. Congratulations friends!!



In math we finished up our week about time...

Here are two friends on "hat day" working on their TIME Bingo.


And have started our $ MONEY $ unit. Money is usually something that is pretty fun for the kids and it's definitely something they all should have schema for!

I highly recommend reading The Coin Counting Book for introducing the money unit. It talks about the different ways to use different coins to get the same amount.

I'm doing it more as an interactive activity than a plain read aloud.

In Science/PYP we're continuing our Sharing The Planet unit. I love talking about resources and saving the planet. Parents, be warned, your child should be coming home and demanding that ya'll recycle!
We watched an America The Beautiful video and talked about the different natural resources we saw, and what we use those resources to make.

In Writing we have finished up our first editing/publishing round and have moved on to FICTION. I am so excited that Texas is including fiction writing for second graders. It's so much fun to see what creative stories they come up with!
We're still working on using SPARKLE words and dialogue.

In Reading we're ending our fiction unit and reviewing the words we've learned:
  • character
  • setting
  • author
  • persuade
  • metacognition
  • schema
  • inference
  • prediction
  • connection

Here's some pictures from our MEDIA unit.

Here we talked about personification of the Gatorade.



To get your own media booklet... Click Here!

In Ms. Dower's teaching life, things are a little bit nuts with parent conferences and report cards. 
I cannot seem to do a conference shorter than 45 minutes unless my next conference is knocking at the door. I have to much to share! 

I am so proud of my kids and all their hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment