Monday, September 30, 2013

Classifying Lesson

We start off our MATTER unit with a lesson on classifying different things.

I started off the lesson by having the kids sit in a community circle. Then when they were all quiet I called all the girls' names and told them to stand up. I asked how I classified the kids standing from the kids sitting. They were pretty quick to get that one.

We all took off one shoe and made one pile. (Let me just take a minute to say how glad I am that we have science in the morning, before Recess and PE. Our pile would've been a lot stinkier if had it been later in the day!)

Then we talked about all the different ways to sort or CLASSIFY them. 

We sorted by color.
Here is Aubrey with the PINK shoes.

We sorted by sneakers or not sneakers. 

Here is Raghav with the sneakers.

We sorted by size.

Here's Rachael with shoes by size. 
Shocked that every year there's always some growing kiddo with bigger feet than mine!



No comments:

Post a Comment