Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lots of things!

BOOK FAIR IS OPEN!!!!! 


On Mondays I always do a community circle. We share 1 thing that emptied our bucket, and 1 thing that filled our bucket. It's a great way to keep up with my kiddos. I really want our class to be a family and community circles are one of my favorite ways to build up a sense of belonging/family. 


We are beginning our SCIENCE in second grade.
My dad is a PhD Chemist and I have a special place in my heart for elementary science.

Can't wait to fill this board up with all that we are learning.


What I'm introducing this week:

2.1 Scientific investigation and reasoning. The student conducts classroom and outdoor
investigations following home and school safety procedures. The student is expected to:
2.1A Identify and demonstrate safe practices as described in the Texas Safety
Standards during classroom and outdoor investigations, including wearing safety
goggles washing hands, and using materials appropriately.
2.1B Describe the importance of safe practices.
2.1C Identify and demonstrate how to use, conserve, and dispose of natural
resources and materials

2.3 Scientific investigation and reasoning. The student knows that information and critical
thinking, scientific problem solving, and the contributions of scientists are used in making
decisions. The student is expected to:
2.3A Identify and explain a problem in his/her own words and propose a task and
solution for the problem such as lack of water in a habitat.
2.3B Make predictions based on observable patterns.
2.3C Identify what a scientist is and explore what different scientists do.

Science safety is so important... even though we probably won't be dealing with too many hazard materials. ;)

I have a sheet for both parents and students to sign that I sent home.
You can pick it up (along with all of my science vocabulary words) here.

In reading this week we are learning about INFERENCE.
There is a free power point that I like about inferring....

I want to make sure that my kiddos are activating their SCHEMA (what they already know).

The most important thing is that they use EVIDENCE.
For example: I can infer that Miss Dower really enjoys getting sweet tea because she is giving a big smile and I know that people smile when they're happy.



I can infer that Caelyn is working hard because she has already accomplished a lot and she has her eyes and pencil on the paper. 

In Writing we are continue to work on our stories having a beginning, middle, and end. 
We're doing our best to include transition words. 



Girls looking at the books.

Aubrey thumbing through a book.

Will looking for the price.

The boys and our mascot, who is all wrapped in reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment