Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Place value mallows

Every kid got a card with Hundreds, Tens, and Ones written on it. 
The marshmallows held a toothpick. On the tooth pick was where they put the fruit loops to show place value.
The picture above shows 235. We talked a lot about what if the marshmallow didn't have any fruit loops, what did that mean?

This sweet friend told me, "Thanks for letting us do a fun lesson," when math time was over. 
You're welcome Leon!

Lucy working hard!

Ryland figuring out what number to write down!
I also let the kiddos go on a little scavenger hunt. I placed green cards around the room with different letters. These marshmallows were already filled. The students had to write the number after counting the fruit loops.


As you can see.... the kids loved the activity!


Again, I got this activity from Abby!

The biggest challenge was the difference between 401 and 41. If there is no cereal on the tens, why do we have to write anything at all? Place value can be really tricky!

I sent the fruit loops, marshmallows, tooth picks, and cards home with the students so they can practice/eat at home.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling out the base ten blocks to make more connections.


Teachers- be sure to check out my place value unit on teacherspayteachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment