Saturday, September 28, 2013

Matter

In Science this week we will be covering MATTER.

Here are the TEKS we will be hitting:

(5)  Matter and energy. The student knows that matter has physical properties and those properties determine how it is described, classified, changed, and used. The student is expected to:
(A)  classify matter by physical properties, including shape, relative mass, relative temperature, texture, flexibility, and whether material is a solid or liquid;
(B)  compare changes in materials caused by heating and cooling;
(C)  demonstrate that things can be done to materials to change their physical properties such as cutting, folding, sanding, and melting; and
(D)  combine materials that when put together can do things that they cannot do by themselves such as building a tower or a bridge and justify the selection of those materials based on their physical properties.

I will mostly be using my packet that I made over the summer. You can find it here

I will also be showing this video
And reading  this book by Dr. Seuss, Bartholomew and the Oobleck. The link will take you to an audio recording of the book. (I just ordered mine from Amazon.)


I really want to make my own Oobleck. (Oobleck is a non-Newtonian fluid; it has properties of both liquids and solids. You can slowly dip your hand into it like a liquid, but if you squeeze the oobleck or punch it, it will feel solid) It's really simple. I'll have to try it at home first. If I can't do it in my room, I'll just send the recipe home and make all the parents hate me. :)
Here's the link I saw that made me want to try it!

     

Here's How To Make Oobleck:

  1. Mix 1 part water with 1.5 to 2 parts cornstarch. You may wish to start with one cup of water and one and a half cups of cornstarch, then work in more cornstarch if you want a more 'solid' oobleck. It will take about 10 minutes of mixing to get nice homogeneous oobleck.
  2. Mix in a few drops of food coloring if you want colored oobleck.


No comments:

Post a Comment